Kala Chana Chaat recipe with step by step photos and video recipe – is a healthy chaat made with protein-rich kala chana, tossed in few veggies, simple spices and a splash of lemon juice.
Kala Chana Chaat is a healthy and delicious snack. Channa Chaat will also make a very enjoyable lunch box meal. You can call this a salad too but since it has chaat masala and chilies, we call it kala chana chaat.
This black chickpeas chaat is spicy, tangy and can be hot if you add some more chilies to it. This also serves as an excellent starter and can be served both warm and chilled.
Kala chana is full of protein, fiber and iron, and makes a healthy and colorful addition to any meal. This is also considered as a popular street food as well, this chaat is sold at street food carts and ‘thelas’.
Variations In Chaat :
- Chana Chaat Recipe – Chana Chaat (Chickpeas Chaat) is a healthy and delicious snack recipe for any occasion. Chickpeas chaat recipe is ideal to serve to kids as an after school snack. A quick brunch, a quick snack is what we sometimes need when we are too busy or when we are too lazy.
- Bread Chaat Recipe– Bread Chaat is a chatpata treat with a blast of flavors and multiple textures. A layer of flavourful and crispy bread is topped with chopped veggies, curd, and the chutneys and served with a garnish of sev.
- Matar Chole Chaat Recipe – Matar chole chaat is one of the popular street food of north India, especially in Delhi and Amritsar. Learn how to make a tangy spicy matar chole chaat. They serve the matar in large brass pots.
How to boiled black chana :
- Wash ½ cup of dried kala chana well under running cold water.
- Soak the dry chickpeas in enough water for overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Once they are soaked, drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked chickpeas with enough water.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 minutes or till the chickpeas are cooked well.
- Let the pressure go down by itself. Once the pressure cooker cools down, drain the chana and use in the recipe.
#Serving Suggestion: Serve this Kala Chana Chaat as an afternoon snack or evening snack. Or you can pack these for kid’s lunchbox also.
⇒Do give this recipe a try and share your comments below with me.
Enter your email below to get our recipes sent to your inbox when a new one is published!
GET RECIPES IN YOUR INBOX!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
RECIPE CARD :
KALA CHANA CHAAT RECIPE
- 2 cup Dry Kala chana (black chickpeas or desi chana)
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato finely chopped (deseeded)
- ¼ cup cucumber finely chopped
- ¼ cup potato boiled, peeled, and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp unripe raw mango finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Black salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- Collect all the required ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl add chopped onion, tomato, potato, and cucumber.
- Then add chopped raw mango, green chillies, and coriander leaves.
- Now add boiled black chickpeas in the bowl.
- Mix well making sure everything is combined well.
- Add the spice powders – chaat masala, black salt, cumin powder, and red chili powder.
- Toss to combine everything together. So all the spices are coated to chana and veggies.
- Lastly, add lemon juice.
- Stir well. Taste the spoonful of it and adjust the salt or spices or lemon accordingly.
- Serve this Kala Chana Chaat can be served cold or at room temperature as an afternoon snack or evening snack.
- Do not throw away the water you get after boiling the chana. It has some nutritions in it. Use in making dal, soup. Or use while kneading the chapati dough.
- Raw mangoes are optional. But if it is in season or you have it available, please use it. It provides different tang to the chaat. You won’t get this tangy flavor with amchur or lemon juice.
- The spice powders, black salt, green chilies and lemon juice can be adjusted as
per your taste preferences.
- Skip green chili and red chili powder to make it non spicy, especially for kids.
- This salad can be made with boiled white chickpeas, green chickpeas or sprouts too.
How To Make Kala Chana Chaat (Step By Step Instructions With Photos) :
1. Collect all the required ingredients.
2. In a large mixing bowl add chopped onion, tomato, potato, and cucumber.
3. Then add chopped raw mango, green chillies, and coriander leaves.
4. Now add boiled black chickpeas in the bowl.
5. Mix well making sure everything is combined well.
6. Add the spice powders – chaat masala, black salt, cumin powder, and red chili powder.
7. Toss to combine everything together. So all the spices are coated to chana and veggies.
8. Lastly, add lemon juice.
9. Stir well. Taste the spoonful of it and adjust the salt or spices or lemon accordingly.
10. Serve this Kala Chana Chaat can be served cold or at room temperature as an afternoon snack or evening snack.
finally, do check my recipes collection like chaat recipe collection, further, do not forget to visit my other recipes like,
And don’t forget to share this article on your favorite social networking sites ?