Kolkata style panipuri aloo masala is a spicy and tangy masala stuffing that can soothe your hunger pangs. Spicy mashed potatoes and chana are given a great twist and topped with crunchy, crushed puris and tangy lemon juice giving you a lip-smacking recipe. So go ahead and make these tempting aloo masala and accelerate your taste buds.
Calcutta Style Puchkas also was known as Pani Puri and Golgappa is a simple and delicious recipe to make at home. This recipe is inspired from the streets of Calcutta. It is a spicy, tangy and thirst quenching street food that brings people together from all communities in India on the streets.
Puchkas are same as our golgappas or pani poori or batashas. Every state has a different name, but basically, these are puffed crisp balls, which are filled with a spicy mix of potatoes, some lentil, and a nice tangy spicy water. The flavor of the water varies in each state. The water here in Gujarat is made by using citric acid, though the water which is made at home lemon is used. The water at the Delhi vendors has dry mango. The water in Kolkatta is made with tamarind. Since the main ingredient changes, the flavor of the water changes drastically.
Serving suggestion: Serve this spicy aloo masala with crispy golgappas and tangy water. It can be served as a snack or appetizer for the get-together.
#Special Note: Want to reduce cooking/preparation time, then don’t forget to read the recipe notes/tips at the end ?
⇒Do give this recipe a try and share your comments below with me.
recipe video :
recipe card :
Kolkata style panipuri aloo masala recipe | Puchka masala | Tangy & spicy
- 2 big potatoes boiled & mashed
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 tbsp black chickpeas boiled
- 2 tbsp green chutney
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 10-12 papris or golgappas
- Collect all the required ingredients.
- Take a big bowl and add mashed potatoes, chopped onion, boiled black chickpeas(chana).
- Then add all spice powder like salt, black salt, chat masala, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chili flakes.
- Now add green chutney and lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients very well.
- Crush the papdis or golgappas in the stuffing.
- Mash them well together and check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
- Aloo masala stuffing is ready. Serve this tangy and spicy stuffing with crispy golgappa and tangy water.
how to make Kolkata puchka masala (step by step directions with pictures) :
1. Collect all the required ingredients.
2. Take a big bowl and add mashed potatoes, chopped onion, boiled black chickpeas(chana).
3. Then add all spice powder like salt, black salt, chat masala, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chili flakes.
4. Now add green chutney and lemon juice.
5. Mix all the ingredients very well.
6. Crush the papdis or golgappas in the stuffing.
7. Mash them well together and check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
8. Aloo masala stuffing is ready. Serve this tangy and spicy stuffing with crispy golgappa and tangy water.
recipe notes :
- You have to taste the masala to adjust the spices, you could make the masala spicier or tangier.
- It is totally a personal taste, so adjust according to your taste.
- The black chana stuffing is authentic when we talk of Puchkas, but you could also use white peas, or Moong sprouts or just potatoes is also fine.
- Use a light hand so that you don’t mash the potatoes or grind the papri to a fine powder—we want them to remain chunky.
finally, do check my recipes collection like street food recipe collection, further do not forget to visit my other recipes like,
- Indian macaroni pasta recipe | evening snack
- besan bread toast recipe | tea time snack
- Spicy & tangy bhel recipe | dry bhel
- Veg mayo sandwich recipe |Kids Snack
And don’t forget to share this article on your favorite social networking sites ?