Masala idli recipe with step by step photos and video recipe – easy and quick snack or breakfast recipe made with leftover idlis. An easy-to-make and delicious snack recipe, your kids would love to have it in their breakfast.
You can also prepare this delicious yet little spicy dish as a tiffin recipe for your lunch and even an evening snack. This easy yet delicious idli recipe is a perfect snack for any occasion.
Masala Idli can also be served as an appetizer before any meal and is a great way to make use of those leftover idlis.
If you have leftover idlis on hand then it’s a 15-minute recipe from start to finish! A very versatile recipe and can be tried out with many combinations of vegetables that you like.
Variations In Using Leftover Idli :
- Idli Upma – Idli Upma is a very easy and tasty dish prepared from leftover Idlis. You can prepare idli upma with fresh idlis as well. This recipe is a perfect breakfast idea.
- Chilli Idli – Chilli Idli is an amazing lunch box formula for kids and adults. This desi-Chinese recipe will soon become everyone’s favorite in your house. The recipe is extremely simple to follow and will take you less than 10 minutes.
- Idli Chaat – Idli Chaat is a unique dish that is best to use the leftover idlis from breakfast. Turn them into spicy, tangy, chaat for your evening snack or as an appetizer for lunch. We eat popular chaats usually but if you want to try a new chaat recipe, this recipe is your dish.
Frequently Asked Questions :
You can serve this masala idli as a breakfast snack. This dish is good for kids as an after-school snack or school lunch box. This dish could also be served as an evening snack with your tea.
Yes, you can. In case you don’t have pav bhaji masala then can use Malagapodi masala or sambhar masala.
This dish can be made either from fresh idlis or leftover idlis. Normally a day old refrigerated Idlis are more suited as they have less tendency to break when frying and absorb less oil. If using fresh idlis then don’t add any water. You can even skip adding water if you want.
If you are using refrigerated cold Idlis then add 2 tbsp water. If you are using fresh Idlis to make Masala idli then no need to add water add them directly after slicing.
RECIPE VIDEO :
#Serving Suggestion: Serve masala idli hot as a snack or as a breakfast meal or with a hot cup of tea. It can also be packed in the kid’s lunch box.
⇒Do give this recipe a try and share your comments below with me.
RECIPE CARD :
MASALA IDLI RECIPE
- 8 to 9 mini idlis
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum finely chopped
- 2 green chilli finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp waterr or as required
- Collect all the required ingredients.
- Chop each idli into 4 pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot add chopped onion.
- Stir well and cook till onion becomes soft and light pink in color.
- Now add green chili and ginger paste.
- Mix and saute for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt over it to speed up the cooking process.
- Cook till the tomatoes soften.
- As it gets cooked, it will be soft. That time mash them using a spatula and make it pulpy.
- Add chopped capsicum.
- Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then lower the flame and add 2 tbsp water.
- Mix well and simmer the gravy on a low flame.
- Add remaining spices like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and pav bhaji masala.
- Mix the spices very well and cook for a minute.
- Now add chopped idlis.
- Mix gently so the masala is coated to each and every piece, so as not to break them. The idlis will absorb the gravy and become moist and soft.
- Lastly, add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve masala idli hot as a snack or as a breakfast or with a hot cup of tea.
- Idlies can be refrigerated for 4-5 days or freeze them for a month.
- If you are using fresh idlis, refrigerate the idli’s for 2 hours to prevent it from sticking to the pan when frying.
- After the idli cubes are added, don’t overcook just toss over else idlis will start to crumble.
- You can add any ingredients and substitute your veggie according to availability.
How To Make Masala Idli (Step By Step Instructions With Photos) :
1. Collect all the required ingredients.
2. Chop each idli into 4 pieces and keep it aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
4. Once the oil is hot add chopped onion.
5. Stir well and cook till onion becomes soft and light pink in color.
6. Now add green chili and ginger paste.
7. Mix and saute for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
8. Add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt over it to speed up the cooking process.
9. Cook till the tomatoes soften.
10. As it gets cooked, it will be soft. That time mash them using a spatula and make it pulpy.
11. Add chopped capsicum.
12. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
13. Then lower the flame and add 2 tbsp water.
14. Mix well and simmer the gravy on a low flame.
15. Add remaining spices like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and pav bhaji masala.
16. Mix the spices very well and cook for a minute.
17. Now add chopped idlis.
18. Mix gently so the masala is coated to each and every piece, so as not to break them. The idlis will absorb the gravy and become moist and soft.
19. Lastly add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
20. Mix well and switch off the flame.
21. Serve masala idli hot as a snack or as a breakfast or with a hot cup of tea.
finally, do check my recipes collection like healthy breakfast recipe collection, further, do not forget to visit my other recipes like,
- Indian macaroni pasta recipe | evening snack
- besan bread toast recipe | tea time snack
- Spicy & tangy bhel recipe | dry bhel
- Veg mayo sandwich recipe |Kids Snack
And don’t forget to share this article on your favorite social networking sites ?