Tamarind chutney (Imli chutney), a simple yet delicious condiment, is a must-have dip for almost all Indian snacks. Even though this recipe is as simple as mixing jaggery and spices into tamarind puree, its tasty secret lies in use of black salt.
A sweet and sour chutney, made of tamarind (imli) and jaggery. Drizzle tamarind jaggery chutney over dahi vadas and chaats, dip your samosas and kachoris into it or have it on the side with any Indian meal.
Tamarind chutney made with jaggery is delicious sweet and sour chutney. A blend of exotic and fragrant spices cooked with tamarind and jaggery makes it the best chutney!
#Serving Suggestion: Serve these finger sandwich as alone or with a cup of tea /coffee in the evening. It can be packed in kid’s lunch box or make small size pieces for a picnic or small party.
⇒Do give this recipe a try and share your comments below with me.
Recipe Video :
TAMARIND CHUTNEY WITH JAGGERY RECIPE
- 1/2 cup seedless tamarind (Imli)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped Jaggery (Gur or Gud)
- 1/4 tsp or salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black Salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 tbsp muskmelon seeds
- Collect all the required ingredients.
- Soak tamarind in water overnight or for 4 to 5 hours in a small bowl or pan.
- With your hands, squeeze the pulp from the tamarind in the same bowl or pan.
- Now take a large bowl and a strainer and strain the tamarind to discard fibers and residues.
- Press mashed tamarind with the spoon while straining to get more pulp out.
- Transfer tamarind pulp to pan.
- Add the jaggery to it.
- Bring it to boil and cook on medium flame until jaggery dissolves completely.
- Add red chili powder, cumin powder, black salt and salt.
- Mix it well.
- Stir it continuously and let the mixture cook for 2-3 minutes and the mixture would thicken.
- Turn off flame and add muskmelon seeds (it’s optional).
- Stir it well and allow it to cool at room temperature.
- When cooled, transfer prepared sweet tamarind chutney to the container and refrigerate and serve the imli ki chutney whenever required with chaat or snacks.
how to make tamarind chutney( step by step instructions with pictures):
1.Collect all the required ingredients.
2. Soak tamarind in water overnight or for 4 to 5 hours in a small bowl or pan.
3. With your hands, squeeze the pulp from the tamarind in the same bowl or pan.
4. Now take a large bowl and a strainer and strain the tamarind to discard fibers and residues.
5. Press mashed tamarind with spoon while straining to get more pulpout.
6. Transfer tamarind pulp to pan.
7. Add the jaggery in it.
8. Bring it to boil and cook on medium flame until jaggery dissolves completely.
9. Add red chili powder, cumin powder, black salt and salt.
10. Mix it well.
11. Stir it continuously and let the mixture cook for 2-3 minutes and the mixture would thicken.
12. Turn off flame and add muskmelon seeds (its optional).
13. Stir it well and allow it to cool at room temperature.
14. When cooled, transfer prepared sweet tamarind chutney to the container and refrigerate and serve the imli ki chutney whenever required with chaat or snacks.
recipe notes :
- This chutney will not be spoiled for 5-6 months and can be easily stored in the refrigerator.
- Give it a taste and add more sugar or salt if required as per your taste.
- You can have the consistency of the sweet chutney as per your choice. Simply alter the amount of water and make the imli chutney slightly thin or thick as per your requirement.
- Change the quantity of jaggery according to your taste. More jaggery will give sweeter taste and less jaggery will give a
- If you do not have time to soak tamarind or you forgot it, then soak it in 1¼ cup hot water for 30 minutes only.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon garlic-green chili-ginger paste to make it tastier.
- If jaggery is not available then as an alternative option you can add sugar. The taste will be little different. The amount of sugar depends upon the sweetness of sugar and the sourness of tamarind. so add the sugar as per requirement.
- Depending on the tartness of the concentrate or paste, you will have to adjust the quantity of water and jaggery.
finally, do check my recipes collection like chutney recipe collection, further, do not forget to visit my other recipes like,
- Indian macaroni pasta recipe | evening snack
- besan bread toast recipe | tea time snack
- Spicy & tangy bhel recipe | dry bhel
- Veg mayo sandwich recipe |Kids Snack
And don’t forget to share this article on your favorite social networking sites ?