Shikanji recipe with step by step photos and video recipe – is a simple, spiced Indian lemonade from North India. It is known as shikanjvi too. It is also called as a summer cooler.
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 glasses water
- 1 medium size lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar or as required
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 3-4 mint leaves for garnishing
- A few ice cubes
Collect all the required ingredients.
Cut the lemon into two halves.
Take a bowl and squeeze out all the juice using lemon squeezer.
Add salt, black salt, and roasted cumin powder.
Then add sugar.
Now add water.
Stir till all the sugar is dissolved. If your sugar has big granules then it will take a few minutes. To make it dissolve quickly, use the powdered sugar.
Add a few ice cubes to make it chill.
At the time of serving, pour the shikanji into tall glasses and garnish with mint leaves.
Serve chilled shikanji immediately.
- If you have shikanji masala powder on hand, skip adding the spices and add a 1 tsp to 11/2 tsp of the masala to the basic lemonade drink.
- Instead of water, you can use soda for soda shikanji.
- You can add Sprite or 7 Up instead of water.
- Pinch of black pepper powder and a pinch of dry ginger powder can also be added along with rest of the spices.
- A pinch of green cardamom powder can be added for variation.
- You can jaggery syrup or honey instead of sugar.