WHITE SAUCE SANDWICH RECIPE
White Sauce Sandwich recipe is an easy to make delicious and healthy recipe for kid’s made with thick white sauce and vegetables.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 servings
for white sauce :
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tbsp carrot peeled & grated
- 2 tbsp boiled sweet corn
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Salt as required
- 1 cheese cube
- 4 slices white bread
- Butter as required for toasting bread
preparing white sauce for sandwich :
Collect all the required ingredients.
Heat 1 tsp butter in a thick bottomed pan on low flame.
Add chopped onion.
Saute for a minute or two on low flame.
Then add chopped capsicum, grated carrot, and boiled corn.
Stir and saute until veggies are little cooked but still crunchy, for around 2-3 minutes on low-medium flame.
Now add the remaining butter.
When butter melts, add maida.
Stir the flour quickly as soon as you add it. Keep on stirring so that no lumps are formed.
Saute for a few seconds. Make sure the color of the flour doesn’t change.
Keep the flame to the lowest and then pour 1 cup milk in a gentle stream.
Pour the milk with one hand and stir the sauce mixture with the other while stirring continuously.
Now add salt and black pepper powder.
Add cheese if using. I used processed cheese cube here, you can also use grated cheddar cheese also.
Then add oregano and chilli flakes.
Mix it well and keep stirring until the mixture becomes slight thick and creamy. Cook in low flame.
Gently stir until the mixture reaches a thick sauce consistency and the cheese blends well.
When the mixture starts to coat the back of a spoon as shown in the picture here, it means that it has started to thicken.
Once the sauce is thick in spreadable consistency, give a quick mix and switch off the flame. Set aside to cool.
making white sauce sandwich :
Add butter to a hot pan and place the bread slices. You can also smear the softened butter over the slices.
Toast bread until golden on one side of both the slices.
Flip both of them and transfer them to a plate.
Toast the remaining bread slices also.
Apply the prepared white sauce over the toasted bread.
Spread the sauce evenly on the bread.
Cover the white sauce topped bread with the other toasted bread. Place the golden side over the sauce.
Smear softened butter on top of the bread slices.
Place the white sauce sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down.
Press down on the sandwich with the back of a flat spatula to press the sandwich together.
When the bottom bread is grilled well, then spread some butter on top side which is facing you.
With a spatula turn over the sandwich. You will see the crisp and grilled side facing you.
Flip a couple of times till the white sauce sandwich is crisp and golden.
Cut the bread into the half or into desired size and shape.
- Oregano and pepper powder gives a great flavour.
This white sauce mixture will keep well for 3 days if kept in the refrigerator.
I skipped green chillies and added pepper powder instead.
Adjust the spiciness as required.
- Make sure the sauce is thick enough to apply on bread.
- You can also apply tomato ketchup on side of bread.
- You can make vegetable white sauce sandwich by adding more vegetables like cabbage, peas, and broccoli.
- You can also make open sandwich by just applying the prepared mixture on one side of bread and cook on pan by covering the lid of pan.
- I used white bread, you can use wheat or multigrain bread too.
- I cut each them into small traingles to make serving for kids easier and they will love it too.
- Make sure you cool down white sauce before you apply it.
- The white sauce thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- After applying the white sauce, serve immediately else the sandwich will become soggy if resting time is given.